- Class 4 Aviation Medical
- English Language Proficiency
- Restricted Radio Telephony Licence (Aeronautical), bear in mind that SACAA now no longer require an ‘online radio telephony test’ for VLOS and EVLOS. BVLOS is a rating that carries the burden of responsibility to be handled by the Director of Civil Aviation as it is only with the express permission of the Director that this rating can be permitted
There are 2 parts to getting your RPL:
1. Theory Training is ONLY 7 days!!! (Monday – Sunday)A person holding an NPL, PPL or CPL, can however complete the course in as little as 3 Days!!!
2. Practical Training
**UPON COMPLETION OF THE THEORY COURSE AND SUCCESSFUL PRACTICAL TRAINING AND ASSESMENT, THE CHIEF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR (CFI) WILL WRITE A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION TO THE DESIGNATED FLIGHT EXAMINER (DFE), RECOMMENDING THAT THE STUDENT BE CHECKED OUT.
AFTER A SUCCESSFUL CHECKOUT WITH THE DESIGNATED FLIGHT EXAMINER, PROWINGS TRAINING WILL ASSIST AND GUIDE THE STUDENTS WITH THE SUBMISSION OF THEIR RPL APPLICATION FORM TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY (SACAA).
- Beginners learning to fly for the first time
- Experienced operators. We are taking on experienced operators as a priority as some are using drones for their livelihoods (It is highly recommended that experienced operators take at least 1 practice session to understand the RPAS flying requirements).
- within a lateral distance of 50m from people, property or public roads
- within a 10km radius of an airfield, airport or aerodrome
- No higher than 400 feet above ground level
- AIC- Aviation Information Circular
- AIP- Aviation Information Publication
- ATPL- Airline Transport Licence
- BVLOS-Beyond Visual Line Of Sight
- CARs 101- Civil Aviation Regulations
- CATs 101- Civil Aviation Technical Standards
- Checkout- Practical Exam/ Skills Test performed by DFE
- CPL- Commercial Pilot Licence
- DFE- Designated Flight Examiner
- EVLOS- Extended Visual Line Of Sight
- Fixed Wing- Drone that looks like a mini plane
- Helicopter- Drone that looks like a mini helicopter
- ICAO- International Civil Aviation Organisation
- Multi Rotor- Drone that is also called the quadcopter, as the name suggests, there are 4 propellers or more arranged in a cross type configuration
- NPL- National Pilot Licence
- PPL- Private Pilot Licence
- ROC- Remote Operators Certificate
- RPA-Remotely Piloted Aircraft
- RPAS- Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems
- RPL- Remote Pilots Licence
- SACAA- South African Civil Aviation Authority
- TGM- Technical Guidance Maintenance
- VLOS- Visual Line Of Sight
If you are found to be breaking any regulations you will be prosecuted by the relevant authority and be fined accordingly. A known offender was fined R25000.00 for flying his drone into his neighbour’s plot!!
Should your drone be insured then breaking the law will void your Insurance Policy if an accident occurs.
To get the latest Rules from SACAA Part 101 subscribe to the Legislation notification in order to receive the most up to date rules and regulations.